Friday, June 10, 2005

Noticing 2

I sat with a woman today who is gay. She is in an eight year committed relationship, had a committal service six months ago. As we talked, I couldn't answer how she would be received in our congregation. Would they be welcomed? Would they be accepted? She has faith in God, raised in a Christian tradition but does not feel welcome in most churches....

How are we to be with this? There are so many complexities to think through with this issue...

The issue I see is at some point, in a center set system, where people are welcome at whatever point they are in their journey they will eventually run into our belief that celibate singleness and faithful heterosexual marriage is God's design...what happens then?

I read an article today on Cedar Ridge's site, (Brian McLaren is the founding pastor) you could read their position if you are interested here: http://www.crcc.org/content.php?ContentID=154

I think we will have to wrestle with this issue many times over, don't know how it will look, but what does it really mean to say we welcome and accept all people?

Rambling today...

6 comments:

myra mae said...

Rose, We've already talked about this so you may be sick of my comments. But I must admit, I am a little fired up about this. I find it very interesting that it is so easy for us Christians to point our fingers at homosexual sin and say it is not welcome in the church community. We all have sin that needs to be dealt with. Sin is sin. My own sin is no worse than the woman's who visited you in your office.

How great it would be for the church to welcome and befriend all people and instead of judging based on sexual sin, tackle person sin as a community.

I realize this is not easy. Perhaps it is not even realistic. However, I am hopeful that faith, love, and forgiveness will help us to take a serious look at our sin and heal it.

waterloo2 said...

Myra, I think the main reason why this topic is difficult is because most if not all professed lesbians and gay men do not feel that their sexual preference is a sin. They don't feel broken in that way.

myra mae said...

Lisa, I agree with you. That in itself makes this so difficult. Yet, I see churches who are so not loving to gays and this makes the entire situation worse. Now I do not think our church community would ever be one of those unloving churches but I do think we have to find a way to open the doors and love these people. Sometimes it takes love to recognize sin. I've seen homosexuals come to terms with their brokeness through really being loved. Through the love they begin to work on the hatred that gets them to that lifestyle.

barb h. said...

rose,
i haven't read your blog for awhile and just wanted to tell you I am really enjoying reading it..
You are a good writer but more than that I can hear your heart in the comments and the direction of the discussion..

But now to my "weighing in" on this topic..
As you know I am "out there" on this topic..
perhaps also "idealistic" as you put it, Myra..

but I have to say I am just done with this issue as a central issue..It is a non issue for me...
I am holding the bible much more loosely than I have in the past..

I think there are so many more important things to care about..

I can still hold the ideal up of heterosexual relationships but frankly in this broken world I am finding myself just happy when people find someone to love...

Now of course I am holding the assumpion that fidelity and honor should be a part of a relationship whether heterosexual or same sex.. I think it is just healthier ...

I would rather spend our energies on working together ( gay or not gay) to make this world a better place.. where children don't go hungry, nor are they maimed from war. Where the greed of consummer nations is owned for what it is..
there is so much social spiritual work to be done that I think churches and individuals should just take a sabbatical for 510 years on this issue.

thanks for listening....
barb henderson

barb h. said...

p.s.

I meant to say the church take a sabbatical for five to ten years from this issue.. not 510 years.

Oh Ohio House Cleaning said...

Unbelievable blog. I can hardly wait to vist this
site again.I'm consistently looking up blogs like
this.
Hey son, you need to check out my mt montana house cleaning blog!